As a homeowner, there are certain tasks that you tackle on a regular basis. Mowing the lawn, taking out the trash/recycling, washing and drying clothes, cleaning, etc. While they can seem repetitive and sometimes annoying, they’re necessary to maintain the look and feel of your home.
As a blog manager, there are also certain tasks that you should tackle on a regular basis. These include:
- posting quality content
- responding to readers’ comments
- updating the About page
- cleaning up your categories/tags when necessary
- analyzing blog stats and making updates as necessary
- ensuring that contact information is up to date
- visiting your blog on various devices to test loading speed/quality
- checking for broken links to external content
- reading and engaging with other blogs
Regularly visit your site as a reader does. What kind of experience do you have? Does your blog load quickly? Is it easy to navigate on a smartphone and tablet? Does it have compatibility issues with any browsers or operating systems? Is it easy to find specific content via categories, tags, archives or a search box? Can a reader quickly contact you if interested?
Yes, these are basic blogging tasks, but they’re easy to forget or push to the back burner — just like those homeowner tasks. Admit it. When’s the last time you’ve decided to clean only because the massive amount of dust is triggering a sneezing attack? 🙂
So remember to mow your blog. You don’t want to be that creepy blog with stale content, overgrown navigation and an absentee owner.
What other blog tasks do you perform on a regular basis? Do you disagree with any I’ve listed? Chime in below!
Join the conversation: